A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Stay Up There Please!





This is a one and a half metre Lace-Monitor, more commonly called a Goanna. It is the 'Bells Form' which has black and yellow stripes. They are scavenging animals but like fresh eggs best. If you see one with a damaged tail it is usually from Brush Turkeys biting them while trying to defended their nests. A bite to a human will cause severe pain and infection.
We surprised this one and were very glad it raced up the tree.

7 comments:

  1. Many years ago I was camping with my then husband when I heard an almighty yell from within the tent. He had been dozing, omitted to zip the tent flap and woke up to find himself sharing a small tent with a large goanna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good shot. In the right place at the right time!
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely name ~Lace Monitor~ I've only ever known them as Goanna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goanna-Lace Monitor: Nature's Balance in action! Good catch! I wonder who was more afraid of whom in this shot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also on a camping trip many years ago. Nature called and I headed off into the bush with my shovel. Without going into too much detail there was a scurry in the grass at an inconvenient moment and after spotting a huge Goanna I took off in quite a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark thanks for comment on my Leeds daily photo, yes Leeds and the navy is an odd connection, you beat me to it I posted further last night and included explanation.
    I knew it was a Goanna, but only from the Crocodile Dundee films. All my knowledge of Australia is from book, films and now the CDP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoopee!!! He is absolutely gorgeous. I bet he keeps the snakes away.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...