A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Roots: Old Glen Innes Rd Part 3

This is the last house standing (just) in the now vanished village of Chambigne (pronounced Sham bean). I have a strong family connection to the area as my grandfather Stephen Conroy Bellamy was born here in abject poverty at the dawn of the 20th century. He once told me that as a small child there was so little to eat that his father, James Zadoc Bellamy, took him and his five brothers and lived in the bush for months on freshwater codfish, wild pigeons and damper (an Australian bread cooked in the coals of a fire).















I don't know where their humpy (lightly built house) was but the school was over the creek in the distance. My grandfather told me lots about the Clarence Valley but I regret we never went up to Chambigne so he could show me where he lived, then again maybe he wanted to forget such terrible times.

This is the 3rd part of my journey along the Old Glen Innes Rd during 2011. Click on the label to see the earlier entries.



4 comments:

  1. Good post. Thanks for sharing some of your history and the story about your Father. I gained more information from your short story than I have from months of research!
    Very much appreciated.
    Regards, Keith.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully told, but sad story... You've captured the 'feel' of the place well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sometimes too easy to forget how easy we here today have it compared to most of those that went before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have driven many times past this on our way to explore the area around Dalmorton and have always wondered about the story behind it.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...