A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Monday, April 11, 2011

The Counter-Reformation Began Here

The Jesuit church of St Michael in Munich is the largest Renaissance church north of the Alps. The style of the building had an enormous influence on Southern German early baroque architecture.
We stumbled on Sunday Mass here as it fitted our time, 9.00am. Even though my German is rudimentary I knew enough to follow along. The music and choir was brilliant and I realised that the theatre of the Catholic Mass has long vanished in Australia but it is still not enough to get people in the 20-30 years old of Munich  to come along. The Chuch however was full and we were 'treated' to a half hour homily by the priest.
St Michael's is a famous Church for the tombs of the renowned Wittelsbach Dynasty in its crypt.
We are leaving Munich today. I can heartily recommend this friendly city and look forward to my return in the near future.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so jealous of this photo. The rays of light through the window is terrific. Great foreground, middle and distance. Congrats - you have captured the majesty of this Church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the light streaming into this beautiful renaissance church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great phot and interesting what you say.
    I'm Jewish but still enjoy the drama of the Church. You can still find it at St. Mary's Cathedral in Sydney. I love their Solemn Sung Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome shot! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll right away grab your rss feed as I can not find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me realize so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.
    my web site: weight loss plans

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...