A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Friday, July 8, 2011

July Racing Carnival 2 - Before the Big Day

It takes a lot of time, and money, to prepare thoroughbreds for a race day. At dawn the horses are exercised in various ways. Swimming the horses in the river is very popular. I have featured this activity before, but this scene is at Kitchner St Boat Ramp in Grafton.
 The most popular form of preparation is track work. It was too dark to capture but I liked how the riders wore hats with blinking red lights to avoid collisions in the pre-dawn gloom.



9 comments:

  1. nice post for skywatch! The sky is the daily bread of the eyes. Happy TGIF! Hoping you can visit my skywatch post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post and I love the photos. Great shots. Happy skywatching and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first shot is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you use all your money tomorrow, you can sell this wonderful image of the beautiful horse swimming. Great post and good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the first photo, Mark. It's stunning. Plus I had no idea race horses could be exercised before a race by taking them swimming. I like it when I learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of "swimming" your horse for exercise--interesting. Lovely photo. I like the next post too--great B&W pics, and I love all the "outfits"! Have a great weekend. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your race series is fascinating.
    The horse swimming after a boat is a real eye-opener. When my daughter lived near the Randwick track I saw a horses' swimming pool for the first time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...