A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Tingha Tin Two Storey/Story


I love this old corrugated iron building. This type of Australian architecture is so unique and very worthy of preservation! It captures a quintessential aspect of life 100 years ago, making do!
This is the house/barn at the rear of Wing Hing Long Department Store in Tingha (see Saturdays post). Upstairs was the home of Jack Joe Lowe, and later on his daughter Mavis Pratt. Downstairs was agricultural storage and also sleeping quarters for the Chinese employees.
An interesting aspect of this photo is the later addition of a bathroom that has was constructed by infilling the verandah with a small fibro (another fantastic Australian building product) room. Underneath the water tank is the outside toilet (dunny), also in glorious corrugated iron. I suspect however, that the 'throne' is Doulton!



Its not quite a barn but its also more than just a house. To see other Barns at Trish's fantastic meme please click here.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this historic building. Interesting looking house. Great photos, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rusting corrugate, my kind of building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the water tank and the window shades on the top level. Very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the texture of the corrugated iron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting...very rustic an lots of charm in it's own way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's interesting...so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look like a barn house. Thanks for sharing this interesting building!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is very interesting...I am glad you linked it to Barn Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like somebody live upstairs and why not these looks awesome!

    Barn Charm

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're learning a lot about Australia from your posts, Mark, & this is great, so keep 'em comin'!

    Thanks so much for joining in & linking up to Barn Charm... seriously, keep 'em comin' =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just spotted this by accident - my comments may explain a little more about the building

      Delete
  11. A very interesting building with a unique history. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is glorious, Mark. Made more so by your text!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Yes, the outhouse had a pan service emptied twice a week. A new toilet block was build when the shop was purchased by the local council as a museum. Looking at the bottom photo, my mother's bedroom was the left side window and my was the other one. My brother bedroom was on the side window. Underneath was the store's storage area. My grandfather purchased the shop in 1917, he was the third or fouth owner.

      Delete
    2. Lovely to hear from you John, I bet you have some stories to tell from the old days. For the life of me I still have not been able to visit the museum, have tried a few times. However when I lived in Armidale in the 80's and often travelled through Tingha always stopped at the store, so I knew it well. I remember your mother well.
      My other favourite Tingha stopover was the Treasure Trove at the other end of the street.
      regards Mark Bellamy
      I hoped you liked my piece on your families heritage.
      wharfstwanderer@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. Prior to my birth, My grandmother and 2 girls lived in this building, grandfather and 2 boys lived in the shop. Grandfather sponsored chinese males from China to work in the shop.They lived in the upstairs (ceiling) in the main shop. Also in top picture side window lived the chinese cook (my time). My uncle had the picture theatre next door (second picture)which family had as a furniture shop before the theatre.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...