A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Bangalow 2479


Bangalow is a pretty village located between Byron Bay and Lismore in the Richmond Valley. It was once the centre of a thriving dairy industry. As dairying declined and coastal tourism boomed the main street has transformed from the usual collection of small family owned shops; butcher, baker, chemist etc into very pricy boutiques and cafes; organic or locally sourced is the de rigueur signage.
As I sat in one of the aforesaid cafes enjoying a spectacular breakfast and superb coffee I noticed that the clientele rushing in for a skinny soy cap to go were very well dressed and immaculately groomed, was I in Paddington, Toowong or Chapel St Melbourne?
The cafe was in a lovely old row of shops and I am sure it used to be one of those old country jewelers who had clocks in their windows, repaired watches and sold young farming couples their engagement rings.
The biggest change to Bangalow was the diversion of the Pacific Hwy to the outskirts fifteen years ago. This picture would've been impossible in the old days. It is a much more peaceful Byron St these days.

8 comments:

  1. It's good to see this town has well and truly thrived without the highway passing through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how all those balconies have survived along that streetscape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? And no mall on the outskirts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skinny soy cap extra hot to go = Paddington, if you don't mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Julie, originally I wrote Woollahra but changed to Paddo hopping you would see it!!!!
    Bangalow hasn't been malled yet ( yep Glover wrote a great piece in SMH on sat) but poor old Mullumbimby has, nearly everyone was against the big box being built on the outskirts of town but Woolies won as per usual. I will get over there and report on the effect on their wonderful main street with its many family owned shops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I LOOOOOVE Bangalow - but find it's relentless trendiness is bearable because it's NOT on the highway!! I still think it's got the best market on the east coast too ... but I think that's a girl thing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS Just saw my blog on your 'Good Blogs' list!! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right about the markets Red Nomad...they are great. I love your blog that's why it is on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...