A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Remembering the Ulmarra Shire


The Ulmarra Shire Council was once had the distinction of being NSW's smallest Local Government in population terms, with just over 1000 residents. In 2000 they amalgamated with the Nymbodia Shire to form the Pristine Waters Shire. In 2004 the Maclean Shire, Copmanhurst Shire, Pristine Waters Shire and Grafton City amalgamated to form the Clarence Valley Council.
This sign is on the stairs to Back Beach, Minnie Waters is one of the few vestiges left of the Ulmarra Shires existence.

This is a Thursday Signs post. Click here for more signs.


9 comments:

  1. Nice that history gets put on hold for folks to see. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scenery. I could use a bit of sun and heat today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nostalgia, and a beautiful beach! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to go to Wikipedia to read about “shire,” and then I felt like a fool. Of course I had heard of shires. I took children to England for years and years. I think I must be losing my mind. Thanks for the interesting history lesson and for jogging my memory. genie

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have several places that have amalgamated and I always get confused. Often people still use the old names,out of habit or because the new name doesn't sound right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I could stand there all day and look at the view

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Dianne - I could stand here all day and admire the view ... then I would walk down the steps and admire it close up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the cursive script would probably never be used now; it is a nice touch.

    sorry for my lateness in getting around to everyone...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...