The South Grafton Post & Telegraph Office opened in 1882-3. This is almost certainly a Carl Ehlers photograph who worked in Grafton from 1888 to 1897. The 170 historic photos came from a scrapbook collected by a Mrs Lasker. They were restored and properly mounted by generous funding from the Gordon Darling Foundation.
Click here to visit the Clarence River River Society, one of Australia's oldest local history museums.
The Post Office has been extended over the years with the addition of a graceful clock tower and front office. South Grafton used to have it's own postcode, 2461, but it was taken away 10 years ago and now comes under Grafton's 2460.