A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sculpture by the Sea: Angourie Style

The annual Sculpture by the Sea exhibition has opened in Sydney on the Bronte to Bondi Walk. Back Beach Angourie has a wall of sculpture carved by the greatest artist of all time, Nature!
Coffee Rock is a very soft stone that erodes into very mysterious but fabulous shapes. I don't know about how it formed(s) but I am sure that Rod at North Coast Geology would know.
Coffee Rock is fun, you can write your name in it or imagine strange animals and faces in it's sandblasted contortions. It is also dangerous as there are often landslides.
What can you see in this sculpture? I see three ghosts/spirits trying to break out of their sandy brown world.

This is an Our World Tuesday Post. Click here for more snaps of more places in our amazing world.

11 comments:

  1. Fascinating, Mark. Just yesterday I was walking a beach on Lake Huron where whitish rocks are worn away in the same sort of way I plan to research them to find out what kind of rock they are...but haven't gotten to that yet. Coffee Rock is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great shot! very interesting sculpture :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome! And what a fantastic shot! That Nature is an artist that's hard to beat! Superb! Enjoy your week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see ancient and wise faces, worn by time and weather. I wonder what they're trying to tell us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weathered rocks always make for great shots ... have not heard of coffee rock before .... clever link with Sculpture by the Sea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see your ghosts, I think one is an elephant ghost (on the left). Rocks are fascinating, one of my granddaughters is a geophysicist, she could probably identify them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an amazing and magical work of nature...i see the three spirits, too...and I think they are trying to go free. the older i get, the more i am awed by mother nature and her works of art. this area has to be really special when you see it in person. one wonderful and interesting post. genie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I think I much prefer this SbtS to the Bondi-Bronte one. There are fights on the walk down here when regular walkers/joggers try to cope with the meanderers/lookers. The crush of people is unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun.
    And I don't think I have ever seen such immaculate white sand.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...