A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Colemans Bridge Lismore

Colemans Bridge crosses Leycester Creek and links Lismore with South Lismore.
Opened in 1908, it is described as a Dare timber truss type. Harvey Dare, a leading engineer for the Public Works Department, designed the structure on principles of using as little iron as possible, as it had to be imported into Australia from Britain, and using locally sourced timber.
The building of the Ballina Road Bridge to the south in 1963 bypassed Colemans Bridge. It still is an important link but sees much less traffic. It is listed on the New South Wales State Heritage Register due to it's excellent condition and representaive nature of the Dare type bridges. To read more click here.

This is a Sunday Bridges post. Click here for Louis's excellent San Francisco Bay based meme.



12 comments:

  1. Look at all that weed infestation along the river, just below the bridge, Mark. Seems to be everywhere along the train track too, as I XPT to Wauchope and back. Each time, I set myself up things to photograph on my next trip. Te ease the boredom somewhat ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see bridges like this all over NSW. I like them. Says country town to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an unusual design, more modern looking that the aged structure it is...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This bridge looks like it is all decked out for Christmas with its red, green, and white. If the timbers form the roadway, I bet the cars go bumpety, pumpety, bump. I would love that. Such fun. A really pretty bridge. genie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genie I love the clackety clack of driving over wooden bridges. Hadn't thought about the Christmas colour scheme, goos spotting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a bridge that was built to last. Keep on clicking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Harvey dare must have been a very daring man, Did he get an MBE?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still looks great:)
    Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A unique bridge, and I'd not heard of a Dare timber truss type before. I like wood bridges very much and this one looks fine surrounded by the blooming weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't really think of those as weeds and at first thought "how lush everything looks"!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...