A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Save The Last Dance For Me



Woodford Dale Hall seems beyond beyond repair and even too far gone to be used as a barn anymore.

 I found this quote from the Clarence and Richmond Examiner of June 29th 1909, it made me feel melancholic.
"The opening social was hold in the new hall at Woodford Dale on Wednesday evening. The attendance numbered 70, and dancing commenced at 8.30. A bountiful supper, provided by lady friends, was par-
taken of at midnight. The music was gratuitously supplied by Miss Amos (piano), and Mr. J. Gillespie (violin). The duties of M.C. were faithfully carried out by Mr. D. Archer. Some pretty dresses were worn, the most conspicuous being Mrs. C. Wallwork, white silk, trimmed with medallions." and on it went describing the girls gowns......I don't know whether I would like to drive past this quiet spot at night, are spectral beings swathed in their fineries laughing and dancing into the wee hours remembering things long past?

Woodford Dale is now really only a locality but it still has one important building left, however, tomorrow (Tuesday) it will close after 144 years of operation....stay tuned.  

18 comments:

  1. Such an interesting capture both in words and photo of the "way we were" Mark. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my family live around here. I suspect my father would be very familiar with this hall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a charming barn with lots of history and character! Tricia in Missouri has a weekly "Barn Charm" meme on her Popular Bluff CDP blog which I really like! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a sad face it has now! I love your fanciful idea of the 'spectral dance at midnight', you'll have to do a drive by Mark and check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old buildings and am glad this one is still hanging on for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I understand, now, the meaning of 'sway back'. This barn surely has dropsy in its middle regions. I dash past quite a few of these in my train travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great old barn. That also is about how my back feels this evening too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this photo. There is so much evocation of past times and better days in it, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful and i loved the old newspaper article...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great old barn...loved the history behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I would love to go past it at night...what a picture is painted with those words from the past. Really gives life to this place, which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is sad to see such a happy place close and then fall into disrepair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, great little barn and interesting history!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How sad it looks now. Hard to imagine it once housed ladies dressed in silk who danced the night away inside!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mark - fun to see you joined Tricia's "Barn Charm" meme! Nice barn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful image of a lovely old barn....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I asked my parents about this hall, and they said they went to the centenary of Woodford Dale school in the hall in 1967, when my brother & I were very small. It's deteriorated a lot in the past 40-odd years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are the structures I am drawn to as I drive the back roads of this little Virginia county. The ones that are leaning but refuse to let go and fall. Then there are the ones that have hit the ground in a heap of old boards filled with stories to tell. This is a beautiful capture and one that I adore. Very special, indeed. Welcome to Barn Charm...it is such a nice group we have here. genie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...