A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Brisbane


Brisbane is a city close to my heart. Although I am a staunch New South Welshman, 'Brissie' is just a few hours north from the Clarence Valley. Over the last 5 decades I have seen many changes as it has moved from a rusty wooden low rise country town, sweaty and swathed in rampant vines and greenery to a busy metropolis of towers and freeways.
I still miss the old run down Brisbane, David Malouf in his semi-autobiographical novel Johnno captured beautifully the languid, conservative and suffocatingly dowdy place that Brisbane once was. It was his first book and is really worth a read if you want to know about Brisbane in the 50's and 60's.

It is almost a year since Brisbane suffered it's worst floods since 1974, I have vivid memories of that catastrophe, flying over the stricken drowned city trying to get from my Grandmother's in Toowoomba via Brisbane to Grafton. When I visited the river it was it's usual brackish colour and I saw little evidence of the 2011 disaster, although I know there are many people out there whose lives were changed forever.

This is a Weekend Reflections Post. Click here for more reflective surfaces.
This is a Sunday Bridges Post. Click here for Louis's San Francisco based meme.

20 comments:

  1. I love the way you took the photo at the two times of day. They are so nice...clear and sharp and filled with lovely colors. The lights twinkling in the water are beautiful. Great captures. genie

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me Brissie is a place I both love and hate. Being a Queenslander by birth it was the big smoke and the haunt of my uni days but being an inlander I have always found its climate sickenly hot and humid. So while I love to visit family there I am also glad to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me Brissie is a place I both love and hate. Being a Queenslander by birth it was the big smoke and the haunt of my uni days but being an inlander I have always found its climate sickenly hot and humid. So while I love to visit family there I am also glad to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful city scape. The night time photo is awesome!

    Sunday Bridges

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your pictures! I live in Brisbane and it is a nice city, however, I do prefer Melbourne actually! Love your night shot. I am also your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gentle sweep of the bridges are a calming look to the cityscape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cityscapes all around the world have changed so drastically over the last two decades. I've been witness to many quiet villages transformed into busy metropolises in China. You make the modern Brisbane look very attractive with these day and night shots. Perfect for both the bridge and reflection memes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like the vibrant night shot. the bridges show how dynamic this city is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you I'm now a north coast local but have to visit Brisbane regularly. I was in hospital with my daughter during the worst of the floods last year. It was a scarry environment. Especially since my daughter was having a procedure under a general anesthetic when the electricity went off to the city and even the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful day and night photos of the Brissie skyline, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that second shot! Why don't you come enter it in my Weekly Top Shot meme? We're on Week #11 and I'd love to see you share with me! Here's this weeks' link: http://www.theviewfromrighthere.com/blog/?p=5812

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know how you did it but you make the Brisbane Square Building less ugly! That is the big black one with some "giant partially melted leggo bricks" at the bottom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rod I agree, Brisbane City Building is a really awful building but at least the square is shady. King george Sq in front of the Town Hall has been ruined, what was once a pleasant place to sit is now a hot granite wasteland!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are lovely photos. I really like the night photo. Someday I hope to be able to capture something as nice at night.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brisbane in the 50s and 60s ... pass. You know I have not been to Brissie since my daughter was about 2 which makes it 30 years. I guess I would notice some changes. However, I bet it still rains every afternoon at 3 o'clock.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belatedly, «Louis» thanks you for this fine contribution to Sunday Bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing this superb post and images with us on 'Weekly Top Shot!' I hope you'll come share again next week...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful shots! I love the multi colored reflections in the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. two extremely lovely shots! I like the contrast between daytime and night time, and I'm a sucker for light reflections on water in urban photography. well done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...