A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Welcome to Brisbane. Not!


The western end of George St has always been seedy. McDonald East had a great old Department Store, there were cinema's but was also dimly lit bars and and rough house pubs. The whole district has been engulfed by Law and Order and become 'Justice Precinct'. It has also become a strip of Backpacker Travel Agents, a couple of tawdry stores from the old days remain.
Overall of it all looms the black fortress that is the Brisbane Transit Centre, I wondered who designed it? Darth Vador or Albert Speer.


There wouldn't be a more soul destroying/joy killing welcome than arriving by coach at the Brisbane Transit Centre. You have just got off a 20 hour trip from Cairns or the Isa; would you feel like chancing your luck and spending your hard earned dough on one of those 'games of skill' to win a stuffed toy?
Yes, Bus Stations are crappy but Brisbane's is dire beyond belief. 


I found the abandoned counters and empty halls to be unnerving. I expected Jack Nicholson to jump out with an axe saying "Here's Johnny!"


I found this piece of art in a waiting bay. It is by Jim Finch and depicts the history of transport in Brisbane. Is the Aboriginal Man is trying to escape from the black glass clad Transit Station Hell?

This is a Signs Signs Post. Click here for Lesley's meme and more pictures of signs.

14 comments:

  1. It's true, it does look sad and desolate! I went on a day trip by car to Brisbane in 2008, and fortunately I got a much better impression. We walked along the river, and it was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent a few days in Brisbane in 1989 and found it to be my least favourite city of the four I visited (Melb, Syd, Cairns)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't really hear much about Brisbane...I guess there is a reason for that.
    Thanks for going there and documenting this part of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perspective of Brisbane! I must admit, when I was there the new cosmetic designs along the river had just been opened! Bougainvillea seemed to be like a waterfall everywhere! And there were cute little pools by the river where children could paddle! But I did not see this corner of Brisbane at all! I would definitely find it creepy! I even avoided the Gold Coast road because drivers seemed to be creepy/crazy along there - it was summer near New Year - and opted instead to go to the hinterland to Mount Tambourine! The village in the mountain was a delight! But there were fire warnings! Fascinating photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Up until now the only thing I knew about Brisbane was where it is, & the fact that my Brother-in-law owns a Harley Davidson agency there. Having been there I think the best one can do is purchase one of those Harleys & get out of there! However, I had to go to Sydney for a complete hip replacement recently (got home just before Xmas), & I thought I was in a foregn country! Hated the place! Glad to be back home in my forest.
    Keith.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gave me a chuckle - it certainly isn't the most welcoming place inside or out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm guessing you're not to keen on the Transit Station Mark, come on you have to look for the positives, bet you could get some great reflection shots off that wall of black glass! It's funny even though we're WAY over here in the west, I think Perth gets a better wrap than Brisbane, well that's because it's fabulous haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow ... I quite liked that place when I used to travel Sydney-Brisbane by bus 20 years ago ... that was before air fares got cheap. So I guess it was built for a time when there were a lot more buses going too and fro. Mac and Easts was a favourite store of mine during uni years. Was only the other day trying to remember the name of the fabric shops that was down that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the final painting but the gloom of the bus depot is quite something to behold. I know the rigours of 20 hr Oz bus trips and thatls the last think yu want to see. Thanks for posting.

    The UK ones are fairly despairing too- either dank and old or modern illuminated white plastic- lost souls inhabit both types...

    Chrissy at Manchester: a photo a day at Mancunian Wave

    ReplyDelete
  10. A rather unusual station....not very interesting or appealing. I love you title for the art work....Transit Station Hell. I think it fits quite well. genie

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last time I was there it was very busy... but that was 10 years ago. The transit centre always felt like the inside of a McDonalds, i.e bereft of any warmness. Interesting that the wonderful Roma Street parklands are only a very short walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know, at least its a proper terminal. I've used it and thought it was okay. I do like the train to the airport. Sydney's is under the arches of Central Station and I wouldn't want to hang around there at night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes! Appreciate when people show the good and the bad about whre they live though. (So that I know that the places where I live are normal.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...