A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Chatsworth Island General Store


Country Towns by Ken Slessor

Country towns, with your willows and squares,
And farmers bouncing on barrel mares
To public houses of yellow wood
With "1860" over their doors,
And that mysterious race of Hogans
Which always keeps the General Stores….

At the School of Arts, a broadsheet lies
Sprayed with the sarcasm of flies:
"The Great Golightly Family
Of Entertainers Here To-night"–
Dated a year and a half ago,
But left there, less from carelessness
Than from a wish to seem polite.

Verandas baked with musky sleep,
Mulberry faces dozing deep,
And dogs that lick the sunlight up
Like paste of gold – or, roused in vain
By far, mysterious buggy-wheels,
Lower their ears, and drowse again….

Country towns with your schooner bees,
And locusts burnt in the pepper-trees,
Drown me with syrups, arch your boughs,
Find me a bench, and let me snore,
Till, charged with ale and unconcern,
I'll think it's noon at half-past four!

6 comments:

  1. Remember it well, we used to weekend in the area and call in for the Sunday paper and an ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful capture and poem about country stores. This one looks like it's everything post office..petrol station and local convenience store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo what a good combination of image and word. I quite like Slessor. Like a 1950s Lawson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post- the poem is reflective and the photo reminds me of the 1950s. (or what I imagine it was like!)

    Chrissy at Mancunian Wave photo blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this shot, Mark! Come on over and enter it in 'Weekly Top Shot.' We're on Week #16, I'd love to see you share with me and my readers! Here's this weeks' link: http://www.theviewfromrighthere.com/blog/?p=6115

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one. Especially with the Slessor poem. I like his poems ... pictorial. Your photo is a good match.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...