A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lismore Woodchop Grandstand




The North Coast National Exhibition AKA The Lismore Show is held in October. Amongst it's pavilions and fields is an unusual Wood-chopping Grandstand. I don't think I have ever seen a building like this. It is called the Ted Fisher and Jack Arnett Stand, I guess they must've been famous wood-choppers.
I could do with a bit of restoration and is very worthy of preservation.

This is my contribution to Lesley's Signs Signs meme.

10 comments:

  1. You learn something everyday on the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a 2 story little league dugout to me. I guess there are food chopping contests all over the country, but I have never seen or heard of one. This was a real interesting post. Great find. genie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an interesting looking stand. Can't say as I know about woodchopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. reminds me of an old movie
    it should absolutely be preserved, it's wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woodchopping as entertainment even in Australia seems to be a fading art! And this stand is certainly one of a kind - specially nominating woodchopping as a public event! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a strange arrangement. Not seating on the lower level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I was wondering how the stand was used, perhaps tables and chairs were brought in for the judge/ officials in the lower area. Woodchopping is a great spectator sport, the axemen so powerful, and through the log in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...