A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Theme Day: Animals

There is no bigger and more iconic animal in Northern New South Wales than Ballina's Big Prawn. It is adored and despised in equal measures. With the opening of the Ballina highway by-pass in December the Big Prawn is no-longer on the Pacific Highway.

It has certainly seen better days and is currently closed, however, a large hardware chain has bought the site and are committed to restoring this gargantuan crustacean. I do hope they restore the beams of light which once radiated from the bulbous eyes.

Here is a shot from the 1980's in it's heyday. The Big Prawn is the latest entrant into my Northern NSW Hall of Fame & Shame. Click on the label to view the others.

On the first of every month the City Daily Photo Community come together and post to a common theme. For January 2012 it is animals. Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

15 comments:

  1. That sure is a bit on the ugly side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness. We could be in America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just loved the whole 2 weeks I missed on holidays,and "those bulbous eyes" have me smiling before work today! Mim X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps, I love the google maps addition! XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its ugliness is its appeal for me. I have been before as part of a small quest of mine to experience Australia's BIG things. I would put in up there in my top 3 along with the Big Merino Sheep in Goulburn NSW and the Big Crayfish in Kingston, S.A.

    And the Big Banana is pathetic in comparison to this monster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Prawn that ate Ballina!
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Don't know if I could handle light from the eyes, but why didn't the idea surprise me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the contrast - old and new. Have a good month blogging and hope your camera stays dry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is awesome. It is hideous. It is awesomely hideous and hideously awesome. I hope they restore it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun choice for today ! The poor thing has certainly seen better days, I hope it gets restored to its past splendor. I'm glad you were able to dig out your shot from the eighties, it shows the damage that time does.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So stoked to have stumbled across your blog. Greetings from Mullumbimby and I look forward to browsing through as time allows :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...