A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Going Out With a Bang

Cremation is an ancient practice that has become increasingly popular in Western Society since the Industrial Revolution. Post-cremation, the ashes are usually kept in a cinerary urn and/or kept in a columbarium or scattered at a location that was significant to the deceased.
There is a new way, however, to spectacularly dispose of the ashes. A Sydney company ( I'm sure the service would be available in other cities) offers a new type of service where the ashes are mixed with gunpowder and then fashioned into fireworks. The website states it's mission is to "help find closure by way of scattering their cremated ashes high into the sky as part of a spectacular and memorable fireworks display." They also offer a cheaper pet service as well.
I wonder if this is the 21st centuries version of the the ostentatious cemetery statue, but fittingly for our times it will only last for a few minutes rather than a few centuries.

19 comments:

  1. I have no desire to be a fireworks display....but I can think of 1 or 2 people I would enjoy watching!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH....I LIKE IT!! what will they think of next!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have liked to have been buried on my own property, but they want me to jump through hoops first & supply public access to my grave!!! So it looks as though I will have to be cremated instead, but my ashes will remain in an urn in my forest somewhere.
    Keith.
    A Woodsrunner's Diary.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely going out with a bang Mark !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of such a thing! But I guess formalised cemeteries are hardly competitive in the property or construction market! So why not go up instead of down! Incredible idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing idea. A bit tacky but I am sure some will go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The discoveries of the entrepreneurs are endless. Haven't see it in Holland yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although a totally amazing concept Mark, I'm still being scattered from the top of the Eiffel Tower haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would not be for a shy, retiring person, I assume!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting idea, wonder if it will catch on worldwide?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why on earth would you like to be a part of the fireworks. I hate that terrible noise we have each new years eve here. Just straw me quiet on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a new one. And I thought making jewelry out of cremains was bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Joan: this idea borders on the tacky. Not only but also ... I am amazed that this is permitted, although one can scatter on a field, and one can scatter in the ocean. These are human ashes we are talking about. Shooting up into the air ... and then raining down on unsuspecting citizens.

    Totally bizarre ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Count me in the thinks-it's-tacky category.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Not sure what I think about this. It would certainly be going out with a bang. Although I have no problem with scattering over the ocean.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...