A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Monday, March 26, 2012

The Golden Dog @ Glenreagh

Glenreagh is a village located in the beautiful Orara River Valley halfway between Grafton and Coffs Harbour. It has a friendly pub, The Golden Dog, that has now become famous for its uber yellow canine effigy.
It is kitsch but I like it, and if it brings more patrons from Grafton and Coffs for Sunday lunch then that can only be a good thing for a village that has struggled since the timber industry has virtually vanished. I was sad to see the bakery had closed down since last time I passed through.

Surely another entrant in my North Coast Hall of Fame or Shame! Click on the label to see more entries.

11 comments:

  1. Oh gawd, he is so awful that he has a certain beauty ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nearly died when I saw it last I drove that way. But like you say if it brings people in that is a good thing. We always use this road when we head up the coast, much nicer drive than going through Coff's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what little towns have to do, turn into pubs and cafes for tourists. Golden guitar, golden boot and and now a golden dog ... it's a trend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Certainly memorable once you've seen it Mark... I wouldn't want one in my backyard, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos especially the first one..

    Visiting for Mellow Yellow Monday- hope you can stop by:)

    http://myrecipecollection.info/2012/03/champagne-mango.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's great fun in a cartoony way- Probably wouldn't want it in my back yard but hey, we have a giant bottle of Vimto on the street of my flat so who I am to judge!

    Chrissy from Manchester: a photo a day at Mancunian Wave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice picture!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots. Have a fabulous week.

    Liz @ MLC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness, the dog is bigger than the pub!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty!

    Please come and see my mellow yellow entry. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...