A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Repentance Creek

There some wonderful and evocative names around the Richmond Valley. Lismore and Bexhill were named after locations in Britain, even though as a child I thought Bexhill it had something to do with the famous powders I blogged about a few weeks ago. Mullumbimby and Whian Whian are both words from the Bundjalung language, the indigenous inhabitants of the area. Rosebank conjures a lovely image.
One of my favourites is the hamlet of Repentance Creek, does anyone know how it got it's name?

Linking to Lesley's Signs meme.

10 comments:

  1. Well I was goign to suggest it got the name because it was used for Baptisms but a quick google revealed "arising from the questionable story of the drover who, having failed to coax his bullock across the creek, flogged it to death, then sat down by the waters and bitterly repented."

    Since the story is deemed questionable I wonder if there are any other versions?

    I too am about to start a trip to places with great names today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The indigenous names are wonderful and I like the story in the comment above about Repentance Creek -- I want it to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joan. Even if this is not true it is a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your multisyllabic indigenous names often seem to have a repetitious theme to them. They also sound like wonderful tongue twisters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ... I'll vote for Joan ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joan, thanks for the detective work. Don't care if it is a myth, it sounds just right. enjoy your trip for interesting names, can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never really thought about it Mark, they were just names we grew up with, but yes, they are rather unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many signs but the one that says "Repentance Creek" grabbed my attention!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...