A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Venus of the Dunes



Most modern public sculpture leaves me cold. What I warm to is spontaneous art works created by ordinary people using material collected from nearby i.e. rubbish, junk and natural objects. The beach is an ideal location where holiday time and interesting available materials intersect into amusement and art.
The Sandon has a unique collection of driftwood sculpture amongst it's dunes. The lady/mermaid is a definite favourite; Venus de Milo of the shifting sands perhaps.

12 comments:

  1. Lordy one has to grin, Mark. Sandon is a unique area, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to see sculptures that are so free and creative also Mark. Your area where you live obviously has a lot to recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be a bit scary to some but I find it creative and to think that not a single was spent on that sculpture.

    Have a fabulous week.

    Liz @ MLC

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's a beauty ... I love her too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great- love the natural thrown together feel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a bit scary-looking but it definitely made me smile. my mym is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoy driftwood art, this is a fun example.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun and unique!

    Visiting late from MYM, here's my Yellow Roses, come and see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. surprisingly no vandals, you know which part people will steal. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I agree with you Mark - these series of sculptures is everything I like.
    Fun, creative and unpretentious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...