A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Art of the Epitaph


This row of impressive marble monuments in the Old Uralla General Cemetery belong to the Blanch family. They must have been at least middle class to afford these impressive tombstones. They are only a few metres from the cemeteries most notorious resident, Captain Thunderbolt.

I wonder who used to write these little epitaphs. Did the monumental mason have a book that you looked through and then select the appropriate piece? Did families sit down and write them? I like Elizabeth's epitaph,  the term  'beautiful throng' is a lovely piece of imagery.

12 comments:

  1. They sure are impressive looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're most probably right about the book of epitaphs Mark .... a lot of monuments use the same words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful blue sky to frame these memorials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Blanch family look as if they represent some significant pioneers of the area! Impressive lineup of monuments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive for such a small country cemetery. Just looked it up via Google maps. It is over near Armidale. Even google has it in for country folk. When I use the satellite to look at cemeteries in Sydney, I can see individual graves. When I look at Uralla, I am hard pressed to see individual town blocks!!

    Yes, I guess they were indeed middle class. None of the rellies of mine that I find have even a stone of any sort (says she with an element of pride!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post and yes, impressive monuments. Must have cost a quid. Captain Thunderbolt - what a name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure beautiful throng has a different meaning now. Great post!

    Herding Cats

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do rather look as if the family were working their way through the catalogue of available monuments and epitaphs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like the epitaphs too. some are really beautiful. something that you hardly see on newer stones...

    ReplyDelete
  10. although I would not like this on my grave, I do appreciate the poetry of the era.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have linked this page on my blog at http://thatmomentintime-crissouli.blogspot.com.au/

    So many of my family and friends are from the Northern Rivers District and I thought they would also love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...