A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Too Pretty To Be Called Common


Meet Delias nigrina, the Common Jezebel Butterfly. On they outside it is vividly coloured but when it's wings open it's a different story.

In flight it is a crazy mix of white, black, red and yellow that has an almost strobe like effect, it does not look graceful but clumsy.
I wonder whether it's all a brilliant survival strategy against predators; maybe it should be called the Clever Jezebel.

11 comments:

  1. Jezebel was know to be a 'painted woman'!! Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shots - this species was one of the few I managed to get good shots of this year!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great butterfly photo!
    Butterflies never sit still long enough for me to get a photo.
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely images... I find every time I get near a butterfly it closes it's wings in protest.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome shots and commentary! Though I had heard of it and had seen photos of the closed wing I had no idea that the inside was so 'plain'!! Very cool butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow ... I don't think I've seen one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous!

    Late visiting for MYM, hope you can still visit my yellow post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...