A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Family Cemetery


Tucked away in the shrubbery of the Dangarsleigh War Memorial, which I blogged about yesterday, are also the graves of the Perrott Family of 'Chevy Chase'.
'Chevy Chase' was subdivided off 'Gostwyck Station' in 1905. Alfred Perrott built an imposing mansion for his family that was much closer to Armidale than his 'Enmore Station'. Alfred died in 1934 and Mabel in 1943. I like the simplicity of their graves and also the use of the same cement and rough local rock of the War Memorial.



Linking to the Taphophile Tragics meme.


11 comments:

  1. How interesting, beautiful simply monuments. Is the one on the end blank?

    Beneath Thy Feet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nicola, I suspect it is ready for another member of the Perrott family.

      Delete
  2. I like the feature insert in these headstones! Unique style and therefore adds a further sense of uniqueness to all of this "amphitheatre" memorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the continuity of style is a soothing element of this cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I note, also, the blank tombstone. I see these often: presumptions made by a family member that do not come to fruition. If Alfred died in 1934 and Maud in 1943, what likelihood is there that this blank 'inscription' will ever be written upon. Did you leave the orange lilies? They create a warm heart to this image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the blank headstone is for a family member who is not dead yet, as these headstones are very new, look at the cement.
      No I did not place the lilies, they were made of material but I still think they were placed their recently as the sun fades them very quickly.
      What I find really interesting here Julie is that it is a private family cemetery, don't think that there are many of those about.

      Delete
  5. I was also wondering about the lilies, and why only at the one headstone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting stones. look almost a little like chimneys to me, on the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting stones. almost look like little chimneys to me in the last photo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...