The earliest communal burials in the Clarence Valley occurred in 1844 at a site on the corner of Turf and Fry Streets. The site was only used for a short time and fell into dereliction. In the 1970's it was the site of a rubbish tip! Only a few headstones remain and most are very worn. Christina Ross died in April 1868, the wife of Archibald McLucas. It seems unusual that her maiden name is used on the headstone.
In 2009 the council restored the park to celebrate 150 years of local government in the Clarence Valley and it is now a peaceful location with a lovely herb garden.