A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Grafton Pioneer Park


The earliest communal burials in the Clarence Valley occurred in 1844 at a site on the corner of Turf and Fry Streets. The site was only used for a short time and fell into dereliction. In the 1970's it was the site of a rubbish tip! Only a few headstones remain and most are very worn. Christina Ross died in April 1868, the wife of Archibald McLucas. It seems unusual that her maiden name is used on the headstone.

 
In 2009 the council restored the park to celebrate 150 years of local government in the Clarence Valley and it is now a peaceful location with a lovely herb garden.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Sometimes in that era women would use their maiden names as middle names.

    Beneath Thy Feet

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if it isn't bad enough to have to die and be buried, but to have a rubbish tip over you is just an added insult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I aml discovering 'Pioneer Parks' and 'Peace Parks' more and more, Mark. Generally, the bodies are left in-situ and the surface returned to a park as we normally know them. I like the concept of this one, where the fact that there are bodies down below is not disguised, but openly celebrated. I also like the sound (and smell) of the herb garden. There is another 'Pioneer Park' here in Sydney that is just two bus rides away over near the Gore Hill Freeway in Naremburn. I will get over there before the end of September - I promise myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have heard of an herb garden over a mass cemetery, but I rather like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha, yes I lived across the road in Fry Street there in my Grafton days. Good to see that it is a pleasant spot now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely to see this old cemetery rejuvenated and this old headstone assumes a sense of beautiful dignity!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...