A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Switching You Through Now"


The old red phone booth in front of the Grafton Courthouse could do with some TLC, but I guess in this age where public phone booths are being rapidly removed, it's chances of survival are pretty slim.

http://www.worldpayphones.com/units/unit-uk-AB.htm
I found this picture of an old NSW payphone that was in use until the 1980's in a rural area. The inside of the Grafton booth is that same speckled green but of course it contains a much more modern unit.
The old manual telephone in the picture reminded me that until 1990 I used to call friends to the north of Inverell by phoning the Wallangra exchange and asking Lola to put me through to "Two Four", that's only 22 years ago!
I also remember as a child going from phone booth to phone booth with the neighborhood gang pressing Button B in the hope that it would spit out a 20 cent piece that some poor soul had forgotten to retrieve if their call didn't go through, we rarely hit pay-dirt, collecting and returning cordial bottles was a much more lucrative business.

13 comments:

  1. Aaah! The old pay phone days! Once they were a street icon! Every main street had one! Now they are crumbling art - if they exist at all! Lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love those old, colorful phone booths and they are indeed disappearing these days! Great captures, Mark! Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great memories of a time gone by. How technology has changed our lives in a relatively short space of time. I clearly remember using those A and B phones when I was away at college. And that moment of anxiety pressing button A when you hear a voice at the other end, hoping that the money would go through and your call would connect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they do find a spot to preserve and display it, even if it no longer works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red phone booths. It would be nice if they could preserve it. Great post and photos! Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unique post and fascinating photography ~ ever changing world ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aahh - how such images stir up the memories! Glad to see I'm not alone in my fascination with old red telephone boxes. Our (much) younger citizens wouldn't appreciate the significance of the expression "Push Button A"! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Dr. Who is glad to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oww, the old pay phones looks antique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good choice for Ruby Tuesday.
    A piece of history fading away.
    I like the contrast of the square phone booth with the fancy iron work on the Court House behind it.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you know if this phone booth in Grafton is still there by any chance? I'd love to take a road trip down from Brisbane to see it and add to my collection of photographs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...