A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Coastal Emu


Dromaius novaehollandiae or the Emu is a fairly common bird in inland Australia but on the coastal plains they are extremely rare. Once they found all along the Eastern Seaboard now they are confined to a very small location in the Clarence Valley. Despite their rarity I often see one or two in the cane fields from Tyndale to Maclean. They seem to prefer freshly ploughed fields and being quite a drab bird it makes for a very 'brown' and uninteresting shot.


So I was in a bit of luck to find one in a green paddock and therefore produce a reasonable shot. I wish I could pass on a bit of luck to these birds as they face many threats: dogs and foxes prey on the young chicks, they are hit by cars and housing development is constantly encroaching into their habitat.


17 comments:

  1. It was always exciting to see an emu in my Clarence days usually in from Yamba.

    Glad you still see them, and great you got the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I never knew they lived around there. Great spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the emus, but have only seen them in zoos here in the states! Great shots for the day, Mark! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were fortunate to capture this shot Mark in the perfect surrounds ... we rarely see them here nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those 'serendipity' shots ~ Remarkable photos of one of nature's gems ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. So green! I agree with Sylvia.. I have seen Emus only in zoos in India..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is a great shot, I love seeing the wildlife.
    Regards, Keith.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeh you have to head out west to see them in any numbers ... I am always pleased to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos. I didn't know there were any in your area - hope they manage to survive all the threats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're an interesting bird!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible finds and congrats on the shot! I know the threats they face....and hopefully something is being done to protect them now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always thought Emu's were cool looking birds! Wonderful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are never the best looking birds in the world - but they are interesting! Did you know there was once a "King Island" sub-species - but I think it ended up in the pot!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting bird! Nice shots too!
    Greetings Pia in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful to actually get to see an Emu in the wilds of the true down under;') We have them in KY, mostly in zoos. Happy weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your images of a great bird! Hope to travel there one day to see one in person.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...