A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Monday, November 19, 2012

The Meandering Macintyre






The Inverell Art Society celebrated their 50th Anniversary in 2012 and to leave a lasting legacy a vast mosaic has been created  along an entire block of historic Evans St. It depicts the flora and fauna that lives along the beautiful Macintyre River.
 



Mistletoe and Dicaeum hirundinaceum the Mistletoebird




While taking some shots of this incredible piece of work I met one of it's creator's, the delightful Bert Makepeace. He and everyone involved should be congratulated on such an epic task. The Inverell Times suggests it could be the longest single themed mosaic footpath in the world! 




On my many trips to Inverell, my local correspondent has  talked about the vast numbers of Black Swans you can find on the Macintyre River but whenever we go to look there aren't any there, however, thanks to the mosaic footpath I can finally say I've seen some!

23 comments:

  1. What a wonderful mosaic. I've not seen Inverell for about 10 years... I can see something lovely I have missed. Coincidentally, Bert Makepeace trained me in how to use a chainsaw, I had no idea about his other skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's a pest ... but that mistletoe mosaic is superb!! And anything that brings mistletoe birds around has got to be good, right?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love to see Mistletoebirds Red.

      Delete
  3. Such a very beautiful idea! This is quite unique! Black swans hang round Rosebud beach on Port Phillip Bay in my world! But they are always "in the distance" so hard to photograph! They are also round Safety Beach golf course lake. One large one chased me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. If I am ever in Inverell I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turning the sidewalk into a piece of art must have been a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a lovely pathway...what a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful work of art!
    Happy Mellow Yellow Monday!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure! Thanks for playing today.

    I look forward to reading your comment on my blog.

    Happy Blue Monday, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely amazing. What a truly delightful concept, it really is epic. Thank you for bringing it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful mosaics - I especially love the swans.
    Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are nice. The flowers and black swans are may favorites. Happy Blue Monday.

    Mine's here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting presentation. I truly enjoyed seeing this masterful work of art through your lens. Never would have known such a thing existed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is delightful. It must have been a challenge to decide what to include in this large piece. The shading in the individual tiles is remarkable. The black swans drew my attention but it's the idea of mistletoe birds that has me fascinated. Thanks for contributing to Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What joy the second image of yours. Great where alike is possible and happening.

    Please have a good Tuesday.

    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful and shows such wonderful craftsmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah! It means, I am missing to see loads wonderful creativity like this. Stunning photos, too x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww! What a beautiful and colorful tiles to steps :-) Dropping by for Blue Monday :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...