A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Taking a Punt


The location of the new Grafton Bridge was announced yesterday and surprise, surprise it will be downstream but adjacent to the existing 1932 structure. This sign, now in the local museum, predates any bridges over the wide Clarence River and was illuminated at night through the use of kerosene to warn that the ferry was closed and advise travelers where they could find an alternative route. Once there were over 30 ferries/punts that crossed the Clarence River, now there are only 2 left.

10 comments:

  1. It's hard to imagine a time with no bridges.
    Punt means ferry? How did I never know that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the last two are wonderful to go on. I've not seen a sign like that at the other ferries though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose swimming across would be out of order?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a great sign. No wonder it's in a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an awesome sign. Shame half of it was damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my first encounter with the word 'punt'.:p
    a kerosene-lighted sign--an awesome find!

    Signs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember having to use lots of punts when travelling south when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed how many punts crossed the Clarence. I have only ever been on the Wiseman's Ferry punt and that was rather ancient in the early 90's. Interesting old sign!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great looking sign. And very unusual, I am thinking?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...